Happy Monday! 8 days until Build Day! We are so pleased that one of last year’s new teams, Stantec, is back for a second year.
Their team captain has shared the following guest blog post with us:
Stantec’s Albany team is so excited to kick off Canstruction for the second year in a row! Despite being a relatively small office (93 people) with tight work schedules and deadlines, we received a wonderful response this year when it came to participating in Canstruction as well as the fundraising efforts that come with it. So far, we’ve raised over $1,500 in just a few short months with the help of our staff, raffles facilitated by our office, and our Stantec corporate team.
Our team likes to kick off Canstruction with a brainstorming session—this is where we get the ideas flowing and collectively decide on a theme that will serve as a catalyst for an eye-popping structure! This year, with the help from leadership in our office, we chose a Soccer theme. To help us build, we were fortunate to receive boards to support the structure from MMC Millwork, a division of Greco Construction.
There are many reasons we participate in Canstruction, but our top five are:
- In Albany, Rensselaer, and Saratoga Counties approximately 67,000 people are food insecure. 23,000 are babies and children.
- The Food Pantries for the Capital District helps food pantries provide groceries for 2.5 million meals annually.
- This project has brought together multiple different departments within the Stantec Albany office and has created a sense of unity within the team, which is comprised of individuals who are typically not able to work together on the same project, given their dissimilar specialties.
- Our participation is bringing a greater awareness of hunger in community and helping numerous individuals in need… that in and of itself is the most rewarding element of this event.
- At Stantec, we’ve got community on the mind because we’re part of it. We aim to make a difference in the places where we live and work.